Commissioning of your filters & leakage test
by BWF Envirotec
The commissioning of your baghouse by our BWF Envirotec team lays the foundation for a long service life of your filter bags. Our specialist staff are at your side during all phases of commissioning. We do all the work for you. This starts with the precoating and ends with the leakage test to optimally prepare your filters for their task.
Precoating during commissioning by BWF Envirotec
For optimum initial activation of your filters, we precoat your filter bags for chemical and physical protection. The aim of this process is to prevent fine particles from penetrating the structure of the synthetic needle felt or fabric. During precoating, an artificial filter aid layer, also known as a dust cake, is built up on the upstream side of the filter using process gas. This layer is then blown off to allow new dust to accumulate. Several cycles are run to ensure that the auxiliary filter layer is also resistant during regular operation. Optionally, the filter bags can then be dried to ensure that the dust adheres firmly to the filter surface.
Frequently used precoating materials
- Slaked lime
- Calcium hydroxide Ca(OH)₂
- Calcium carbonate CaCO₃
- Sodium hydrogen carbonate NaHCO₃
Optimized commissioning of the filter elements
By pre-loading the filter medium, your system is prepared for subsequent operation and can meet the performance requirements. Immediately after commissioning, this measure allows the lowest limit values to be met, which is otherwise only achieved after several days of operation due to the gradual build-up of the filter cake. In addition, surface-oriented separation of the dust is promoted. Furthermore, damage to the filter bag can be significantly reduced by the additional protective barrier. Particularly during the start-up phase of the system, particles can cause critical damage to an unprotected filter medium.
Protection of filter system components through precoating
Filter aids provide chemical protection for the filter elements by binding acidic flue gas components and preventing an initial acid attack on the filter medium, the support cages or the baghouse. Absorbent properties of the applied filter aid layer prevent a reaction between dust and filter medium. Furthermore, abrasive particles with an abrasive effect cannot damage the filter bag. Precoating can make the filter bag abrasion-resistant. This prevents premature mechanical wear of the filters in the long term. The quality and effectiveness of the applied protective barrier can be checked by our service staff during filter maintenance.
The UV leakage test: an essential part of commissioning at BWF Envirotec
A UV leakage test is a quick and accurate way to locate leaks in filter bags and the metal construction. Our BWF Envirotec service staff will be happy to carry out a leak test of the filter chamber if this is possible and sensible with regard to the size of your system and the filtration system. Given the importance of the quality assurance provided by the leak test, our technicians recommend that it is carried out at every filter maintenance.
A very fine fluorescent powder (leakage powder) is injected into the raw gas flow of the baghouse during this leakage test procedure. We recommend five grams of powder per square meter of filter surface for each leakage test. At the start of the leak test, the system is started for trial operation, ensuring that no new dust enters the system. During operation, a localized vacuum forms at leaking points, whereby the leakage powder is sucked into the clean gas side at these points and adheres to the filter medium. It is therefore important for a leakage test that the system is self-contained. During the leakage test, the differential pressure within the system is continuously monitored in order to detect signs of potential leaks at an early stage.
With the system at a standstill, our experts use a UV lamp to visually inspect the entire baghouse for defects. Thanks to the luminous color of the powder, any dust-permeable areas can be easily identified. During a leak test, we specifically check the filter material itself, the proper assembly and the seams of the filter bags. In addition, a leakage test ensures that the filters are properly seated on the head plate. Once the first leakage test has been completed, defective components can be replaced or repaired if necessary. A second leakage test serves to determine whether all defective areas have actually been detected. Of course, you also have the option of purchasing leakage powder from us to carry out a leak test on your system yourself.
We carry out UV leakage tests when
- Commissioning of newly installed baghouses
- After filter replacement
- Regular filter maintenance
- Malfunctions/problems with the system
- BWF Envirotec recommends regular leak testing of your system to ensure the integrity and performance of your filtration systems. Leaks in filter bags can not only affect filtration efficiency, but also lead to increased energy consumption and additional operating costs. A leakage test ensures that your filtration system continuously achieves the required performance level. Apart from this, a leak test can improve the overall service life of your system. Carrying out a leakage test can indicate that a single defective filter is affecting the overall performance of the baghouse by sucking dust onto the clean gas side.
- Carrying out a leakage test professionally can make a noticeable contribution to reducing emissions and therefore also helps you to comply with various environmental regulations. It is important to us to reduce pollution and keep it at a low level. Another aspect is occupational safety. This is closely linked to an effective leakage test, which ensures that potential hazards caused by leaks in technical systems are detected and rectified at an early stage. The investment required for regular leak tests is proportionate to the potential risks and costs that can arise from leaks in the baghouse. A leakage test is always worthwhile for you.
Leakage powder from BWF Envirotec
- Temperature resistant up to 180° C
- Average particle size: 5-8 µm
- Can be stored for up to 5 years (store in a dark, dry and cool place)
- Packaging unit: 10 kg
- Different colors (pink, yellow and green)
- Harmless to health